Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Bike Month in Long Beach

Long Beach is on its way to becoming one of the friendliest bike cities in the country (watch out Portland) I rode down town a few weeks ago at night but took the beach path back home didn't get to see the new bike lanes, I rode again monday and got to ride the bike lane it was awesome but i didnt have my camera so I got me a brand new excuse to go out again for a ride !!!

The City just spend 700 grand building the separated bikeways downtown (first in SoCal)
Which include some awesome bike traffic signals
More Funds have been allocated for bike safety education programs, all buses now have bike racks and if you are not sure how to use them you can stop for a quick class at the Bikestation 
The Bikestation offers 24hr indoor bike parking which is free during regular business hours but you can also park your bike in one of the  bike lockers  available downtown or just chain it to one of many bike racks

If you are a business owner you can request a free bike rack and not just a stick on the ground bike rack , oh no sir! you can get any one of this designs.. although it seems the yoga posses are not available at this moment  
For more info go to Bike Long Beach there are more programs available and tons of events coming up , freebies and discounts at local stores on saturdays .
I got my bike a month ago and already put more than 60 miles on it oh she is a heavy beast at 59lbs and
IS HUGE TOO !!! over 7 feet long (btw I think is heavier now with all the stuff I added to it)

Required by law a horn or bell audible to 100 feet  I went with the clown honk-honk type 

Got a mirror on the other side because apparently I can't turn my head and keep a straight line

oooh ooh check out the tires on it !!

Of course I have my baby girl with me all the time so she gets to enjoy the ride in her own seat , straps , buckles and a helmet and off we go. Have a fun and safe Bike Month !!

1 comment:

  1. NICE BIKE!!! It is totally huge but it looks way cool with the kiddlin seat on the back.

    Bike signals and fancy racks!!!!??? Truly outstanding. Go LB.

    ReplyDelete